tisdag 6 november 2012

Attention! It's the Tuesday after the first Monday in November...

Every four years something very important happens on this day. It's election day, and I'm extremely excited finding out if Barack Obama is getting a second term as President, or if the American population decides for Mitt Romney. In order to highlight this huge political happening, that has an impact on people living in Ohio, South Dakota, Cape Town and Stockholm, I decided to give a small lecture about U.S. politics to the Project Playground debate class. I told them a bit about the American history; how they also were colonized by the British, how Lincoln abolished slavery and about the American dream. After that I tried to explain how the U.S. electoral system is structured without making things too complicated, however I realized quick that this was close to impossible and that it get's tricky no matter how much I twisted and turned. Anyways, here we go; 50 states, 1 President, 100 Senators, 435 Representatives and 538 electoral votes!

The children listened carefully and asked interesting questions, and this was a great feeling for someone that never gave a lecture to a class before. It also made me realize how precious, important and skilled the teaching occupation is, and that we (at least in Sweden) don't pay enough attention and gratitude towards our teachers. It can be so hard to make an impression, and children can be so hard to charm sometimes! Luckily, the children of Langa are the most charming in the world, and I felt respected all the time. No cell phones rang, no one fell asleep and no one started to talk when I was speaking.

After one hour of republicans and democrats I packed my American map together and finished class. I asked about their opinion regarding South African politics, about what was good and what was bad. This is such a political country, and most people have an opinion or at least a clue about the contemporary situation. This class was surely not an exception. All of a sudden ten mouths spoke at the same time, first calm and slow, and the faster and faster and faster, until a huge debate with passionate opinions about ANC and South Africa's future broke loose turning our little classroom into a parliament. Some of the participants truly know how to argue, and I was very impressed, even though some moments brought us closer to the Polish parliament (I hope that's a universal saying).



Politics are so much fun and I promised to return to class soon with a similar lecture about Sweden.
Time to make another coffee. I don't want to miss when history is written!


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar