måndag 28 januari 2013

Last week at PPG

It's Monday. Monday the 28th of January which means my last Monday in South Africa and in Langa for a long time. My internship is running to and end and I will be leaving Project Playground the upcoming Saturday. I find myself in a very emotional state and I know that the tears will wet my cheeks when time is ready in some days. Therefore I rather speak about last week than the upcoming week. Here is my list of some really great stuff that took place the last seven days:

1. Optiker Branning - our favorite swedish opticians came back to Langa in order to hand out spectacles for some of the children and staff that they examined in the end of last year and this was just great! I have no other words than superlatives for these guys and it's just truly amazing to have witnessed this process from the beginning to end. In a world filled with trouble and confusion it is necessary to at least be able to see clear and Optiker Branning has thus managed to change the lives of many children in Langa, as well as improved the future of the whole community.

Optiker Branning with some of the children (+Mapanya) that received spectacles

2. The Football Shoe Project - Our football classes consisted of around 90 football players, but we only had around 45 football shoes. Some players are able to buy their own shoes but most players can't manage such a thing and the outcome was therefore that some players just had to watch the game from the side. In Sweden the situation is more or less the opposite; with 90 players you will get at least 180 football shoes! Saying that the swedes have a materialistic surplus is not exaggeration and I therefore took the initiative to write some of my old football friends. I asked them if they perhaps had some shoes in good condition that they weren't using that much and that they could imagine to give away to other feet. African feet. The response was good and all of a sudden I had 24 pair of football shoes lying around in my South African hallway. Fantastic. I didn't know that charity work was that easy! As a thank you to everyone involved with the project, but also as a documentation of all the amazing people in Langa, I decided to make a video together with my friend Sara Anderson about Project Playground Football.

The result can be seen here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUg7VwBn0bQ
Please have a look!

3. Bafana Bafana - The South African national football team is constantly debated and they're either celebrated or criticized. The African Cup of Nations is currently taking place in the country and everyone excepts the team to celebrate great triumphs even though competing teams like Ghana, Ivory Coast and Nigeria have way more recognized and skillful players. Bafana Bafana started the tournament absolutely horrible with a draw against Cape Verde and a majority of the country swore that they wouldn't watch the upcoming game against Angola that the team won with 2-0. Yesterday the team played the final group stage game and it was a proper thriller. The team scored an equalizer in the 86th minute, finished top of their group and everyone football fan went mad. Beautiful South Africa!

Bafana Bafana - Quarter Finals!  

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar